10 MUST KNOW TRENDS FOR FUNCTIONAL FABRICS S/S 2021
THE BEAUTY OF FUNCTION
10 must know trends for functional fabrics S/S 2021 at PERFORMANCE DAYS in Munich
It is inevitable to deal with the topic „The beauty of function“, the focus of functional fabrics S/S 2021, seen in Munich May 2019.
We know how much fashion and function emerged together in the last years:
- the athleisure trend brought performance wear into the office which made daily office wear sporty in a smart and cool way
- as a result of this trend fashion brands starts to integrate functional details in their collections
- for many seasons e.g. the fitness brands have been toping each other with a wide variety of detail solutions, especially reagarding to the tops, prints and fabrics; far too beautiful to be worn only during sports.
- sports brands pick up more than before fashionable styles and casual looks which was obvious at last ISPO in February 2019.
LIFESTYLE WEAR IS THE NEW FUNCTION
There is a big demand now for a functional garment appearing cool and stylish and so appealing to be worn as everydaywear:
- Clothing that reflects an active lifestyle and combines the aesthetics of fashion and functional clothing
- Functional properties as for example comfort, waterproofness and clima regulation are not enough anymore for functional wear of the future: beauty through fashionable shapes, nice graphics and irresistible fabrics must be added to attract the consumer
In my “ guided tour + „ with this topic I selected four suppliers with stylish and highly innovative products -Tintex, Isko, Woolmark Company and Pioneer Elastic – to demonstrate the beautiful mixture of fashion and function.
Guided Tour + at Performance Days May 2019.
FUNCTIONAL FABRICS S/S 2021
The functional fabrics S/S 2021 show a big diversity in performance, surfaces, hand feel and graphics. Most of the fabrics are multi-functional and offer
- moisture management
- odour control
- thermo regulation
- UV protection
- sustainable production or biodegradability
BUT HOW BECOME FUNCTIONAL FABRICS STYLISH AND FASHIONABLE?
They adopt fashion trends but use functional details as beautiful design feature at the same time: e.g. laser cut punch holes or geometric prints with cooling effects.
I picked up 10 trends depending on the fashionable and aesthetic appearance of the fabrics.
10 MUST KNOW TRENDS FOR FUNCTIONAL
FABRICS & TRIMS S/S 2021:
Festival charme – denim shades – quilted patchwork – frayed edges
2. DRY & CRISPY COTTON
French terries – double face with contrast terry backing – dry touch – athleisure styles
Fabrics: TINTEX . Click on company link for further info.info.
ultra-light & soft – striped – as lightweight for high-fashion activewear jackets
prints with thermo regulating effect – embossed surfaces – mathematical patterns
3D warp-knit technology – laser-cutted punch-holes
6. Multi-colour effects
ribbed multi-coloured midlayers – iridescent surfaces & prints
Fabric: TRUEWAY . Click on company link for further info.
7. Jacquard mania
geo-inspired jacquards – – stitch free quiltings – 3D jacquard knits
8. EXOTIC BIRDS
brilliant colours -exotic birds – jungle motifs -photo realistic fur prints
9. GLAMOUROUS SHINE
wet looks – ultra-light weight metallic foil – multicoloured shimmer -futuristic
10. CRUSHED & CRUMPLED
80ies inspired – crincled surfaces or backings – paper touch
This might also be inspiring for you:
Get here your free monthly inspiration